JOB SUMMARY: The Account Manager is under general supervision of the Director of Sales & Design. This position closes sales by providing solutions based upon Barrows’ processes, procedures, products, and professional services that ensure client needs are clearly identified and met. Responsibilities include managing existing customer accounts as well as securing new business by developing your own sources from advertising, referrals, walk-ins, call-ins, and other company generated leads.
- Ability to quickly assess customer needs and develop strategic product solutions.
- At all times be professional, energetic and self-motivated with a great work ethic.
- Conduct yourself with integrity and honor in all interactions with clients and company employees.
- Stay on top of local events that may lead to revenue opportunities and follow-up on any lead with a sense of urgency.
- Network to gather and share information that leads to new opportunities for business.
- Compile a list of prospective customers for use as sales leads and provide customer information as required for Targeted, Projected and Registered Accounts.
- Strategize with sales management to qualify and secure business.
- Take a consultative approach by communicating in a compelling manner to potential clients with messaging that is relevant and timely to the client’s needs.
- Identify customer needs by asking appropriate product and application questions and close sales based on understanding customer needs and recommending appropriate solutions.
- Up-sell and cross-sell customers on related products and services.
- Gather programming needs from client to establish budgetary guidelines and project timeline.
- Solicit design assistance when required for drawings and specifications.
- Support the sale of preferred vendors by leading with preferred vendor product solutions.
- Use knowledge of key customer accounts (including user, technical and financial influencers), product applications, pricing schedules, purchasing processes and critical issues to coordinate project schedules to meet or exceed customer expectations.
- Use working knowledge of Barrows’ primary supplier partners including products, pricing, terms and conditions to prepare quotations.
- Review furniture specifications and shipping/delivery information to ensure all required fields are complete before releasing to Purchasing.
- Ensure evidence of self-specification check and co-worker specification check. Final specification checks shall address and include quantity checks, application checks, and finish checks.
- Coordinate with furniture order management and furniture operations to insure that orders are processed and delivered in a timely manner.
- Attend sales meetings, and product meetings with manufacturer representatives for product updates. Participate in company events: tradeshows, CEU classes, industry events, showroom events, etc.
- Communicate with vendors and suppliers with order clarification questions.
- Effectively communicate with stakeholders: 1) All project information in a timely manner. 2) All pre-and post-sale activity. 3) Decisions that affect cost and customer expectations.
- Understand customer satisfaction and consistently meet or exceed customer expectations. This will include being flexible with normal work hours to meet customer demand. Some overnight travel will be required for customer visits, meetings, and training events.
- Provide professional service in a way that inspires customer confidence and trust in the company.
- Support and model Barrows’ vision, mission and values, objectives and strategies.
- Be proficient in all Barrows’ procedures and policies as well as all software application tools.
SKILLS / REQUIREMENTS:
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Selling skills – ability to probe for customer needs, tailor appropriate solutions, and close the sale.
- Ability to work independently in the field.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Proficiency in the latest in sales technologies and sales tools such as Linked-In, email campaigns, and others.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts and percentages.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from a variety of personality types.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of customer issues, customer constraints, and variable situations and apply company resources for successful resolution.
- Ability to learn and apply new product knowledge in a timely manner.
- Reliable, well-kept transportation is required to visit client locations and off-site meetings.
PREFERRED SKILLS / REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Previous experience with contract furniture dealer or manufacturer.
- Extensive knowledge of furnishings and the concepts of furniture layout.
- Furniture Industry /Product Knowledge – ability to anticipate competitive positioning and respond accordingly; knowledge of current industry trends, etc in order to recommend relevant and leading edge solutions to customers.
- Proficiency reading project plans, blueprints, construction schedules and processes.
- Excellence in territory management and territory analysis: taking information and filtering it down into revenue-generating sales activity.